To improve the Google search visibility of your church, nonprofit, or business, it’s really important to “claim” your listing on Google Places. It’s free and easy to set up, and there’s lots of great benefits for doing so. Why should you do this? It’s all about being proactive in the quest to manage your organization’s online reputation. By establishing your Google Places listing, with photos, video, and a description of your organization, you’ll create a welcoming presence to anyone who searches Google for “church (or nonprofit or a certain type of business) in Atlanta”, for example. To learn more about online reputation management generally, and why it’s so important for your organization, check out my post covering all the basics, with great (and damaging) online review examples.
- Head to http://www.google.com/places/ and click “Get Started”.
- Follow the instructions and enter in all your information. Make sure that the Google Maps pin placement is exactly right for where you are!
- Wait for instructions on “verifying” your listing. This prevents unauthorized access to your listing.
- After you verify, you’ll be all set!
- Be sure to tell people who love your organization to rate it through your Google Place listing, so the whole world can see how great you are!
That’s about it folks, pretty simple! After your listing is up for a little while, Google will show you insightful statistics about your listing, which can help you manage your online presence. Remember, it’s FREE, you have nothing to lose, and a whole lot to gain by doing it. Check it out today!